YOUR BRAND, YOUR REPUTATION
Companies build their brands via a clear plan, consistently invest in their growth, and relentlessly protect their images.
Individuals must do the same. However, many people don’t spend enough time on their Brand, on their Reputation.
Plan Your Brand Building
Lay out a 15 year plan for your journey.
- Ask yourself the tough questions – where do I visualize myself? What is important to me? What are my strengths and opportunities? Where is my Passion? What will people say about me before I arrive and after I leave? What will be my legacy? Seek Personal Clarity and establish your “VISION”.
- Clearly assess how the your Aspirations, Capabilities, and Choice Flexibility all intersect and/or complement each other. This is a VERY important item. Your Aspirations will change over time as your life matures. Your Capabilities will also evolve as your career progresses and you identify your strengths. Your level of Choice Flexibility is the true “governor”. It is impacted by the important factors in your life as well as your willingness to “sacrifice”.
- Identify the Core Life Message that will guide you in every arena. For example, mine is “Impact The Lives Of Thousands For The Better”. Everything that I focus on has this Life Message at the center.
Set your goals along multiple layers – Professional, Personal, Physical, Emotional, Intellectual, Financial, Spiritual, Community, etc. Be reasonable in goal setting. Laying out numerical and/or situation based metrics is a great tactic. Year over year consistency is the key.
Invest In Your Growth
- With your plan in hand (or at least on paper), move forward with courage and intentionally seek opportunities to build your skills, craft meaningful relationships, and establish your image.
- Take inventory of the relationships in your life and align them against your goals. Are there opportunities for reciprocity? Engage in discussions with others about your goals and ask “how can I help you?”
- Develop a Personal Board Of Directors. Imagine a conference room table with the “right” people in the room discussing, aligning, and advising on a very important item – YOU and YOUR SUCCCESS. Think about the 6-8 people in your life that you can seek counsel from with the assurance that they will be honest with you and feel vested in your success. Level does not matter – caring candor does. Do not limit the “board members” to current corporate partners – ensure that your entire life vision is reflected.
- Secure professional support in areas that you are not comfortable with or need support. Examples include Time Management, Writing Skills, Presentation Skills, and Technology.
Protect Your Reputation
- Be very aware of your leadership image. This is especially important as you progress upwardly in your career. The shadow that you cast expands exponentially with each promotion, with each success, with each positive interaction. This is an area that many great leaders have experienced a “speed bump”.
- “Dime con quien andas y te dire quien eres” means “tell me who are with and I will tell you who you are”. It is an old saying in the Latino culture that has been shared by grandparents across generations. This is also an area where great leaders have faced issues. Surround yourself with as many people as possible who share your values, have your drive, and exude positive energy. If there are people in your circle that limit your growth, then you should minimize their impact. Remember Greatness attracts Greatness.
- My experience is that when you face obstacles – you lift yourself up and realize that your resolve is always greater than your circumstances. Find the true confidence within and rise like the Phoenix that you really are. There are many who admire you and are counting on you.